Here are a few points to get you started.
- Your Judge Liaison Officer (JLO) will assign a mentor for you.
- You will need to arrive at least 1 hour before Inspection or Assembly time for the shoot you are Judging at. This is in order to meet the team and to carry out Field and Equipment checks.
- It is in your best interest to carry a set of waterproofs, an umbrella, red pen, magnifying glass, whistle, note book, black/blue pen and stop watch to every shoot.
- During your time as a Candidate you should be awarded expenses and you may have to travel for 1½ to 2 hours to get to the venue.
- Sometimes you get lunch and sometimes you don’t, therefore always check before you leave.
- EMAS value their Judges, therefore when you qualify they will give you a grant towards your equipment of £150. They will also reimburse any travelling expenses incurred going to the Seminar.
- Any future upgrade Seminars attended at Lilleshall will be covered by EMAS as well as travelling expenses to and from the Seminar.
- It will cost you approximately £300 for the equipment and clothing you need. This can be bought gradually and not all at once.
- Once qualified as long as you Judge at 6 shoots in a year, one of which must be Record Status. EMAS will award you up to £100 towards replacing equipment. There is a grading system.
- If you would like to speak to someone before you commit yourself, feel free to email your JLO for EMAS: email@example.com
Here are a few basic things you will need to do during your first year.
- Read through document J10. It outlines all Grades from Candidate to National and gives an insight to what you can expect to happen and how to upgrade.
- Complete form J00 and forward to the Regional JLO.
- Be a minimum age of 18 unless on the Youth Judges Scheme.
- Have a good knowledge of AGB Rules of Shooting and have a basic knowledge of the WA Rules.
- Have experience in assisting higher qualified judges for a minimum of 12 judging days at tournaments.
- Shoots attended will include a minimum of 1 event from each discipline (Target, Field and Indoor)
- Attended at least 1 Regional or National Judge Conference.
- Have attended the Candidate Judge Seminar.
When you have completed the above and feel you are ready you will fill in another form and your JLO will arrange an assessment at a suitable tournament. You will already have sat the exam at the Candidate Seminar.